Tuesday, January 1, 2013

An Introduction


Welcome to the fascinating world of dog colours. Personally I am always awed by the seemingly unending range of colours and patterns in my favourite species of animal, the canine. And even when it appears as though scientists and breeders may have finally nailed the colour scheme, a striking different colour variation appears. What interests me the most is the ability to distinguish correctly these colours, and their markings, and to accurately predict the percentage of similarly marked or coloured offspring. This predictable selective breeding is what I findmost remarkable of all. Being able to predict, to some degree, the likelihood of a genetic pattern/colouring is a very interesting study, and, one I find most rewarding.

But enough already. The intent and purpose of this blog was to rant and mumble to myself as much as it is a means to educate. While there are already a great variety of dog genetic websites withe valuable and well-presented information, my aim is merely an outlet for my own personal observations as well as hopefully elaborating on some aspects often seen as confusing. I would also really like to find a way to attemp to explain the basics of genetics without it all becoming overwhelming and impossible to understand. So, well, here goes.

The beginnings of something, well, here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment